A culmination of four years ending in one day.
You flip a tassle to the opposite side and you are deemed an alumnus of your university. You sit and ponder all the things that led you to this point and begin to realize just how quickly 4 years went by.
As an incoming freshman to the University of Florida, I was required by a course to write a letter to my graduating self and I found something within it that I found interesting enough to share. I wrote “only about 10% of what you will remember from college will be your classes, the other 90% will come from the relationships you form and the people you meet.”
As my time comes closer until I walk across that stage, I have not been nostalgic, but rather have reminisced on what has brought me to where I am today. It’s true, it isn’t the classes, but the people who I have made lasting memories with that I will cherish for the entirety of my life.
However, this reminds me of a sobering reality of my time at UF. Whether it be at 11:30 PM typing frantically to turn in a paper by the 11:59 deadline or ordering pokey sticks at 2:30 AM because health is obviously the biggest priority at that time, you were alongside not only roommates or organizations that you were a part of, but with the likes of an entire student body of 50,000 plus individuals.
I experienced it briefly during my internship where I moved away for three months. It is the fade away effect. It isn’t based on anger, or disinterest, but more so just a passage of life as you graduate. I know that many of you will be intertwined with my life forevermore, but I also acknowledge that some of you will move on only ever communicating with me through subtle thumbs up or hearts on social platforms.
I urge you, beg you even, to keep in contact with those individuals that had massive impact on you. Ultimately, we are social by nature and the connections that are made in college will never be fully able to be emulated again. Understand that once you start “adulting” and get into the real world, you are not alone, you are a text, call, or FaceTime away from keeping a friendship at full blossom.
I will be eternally grateful for the impact you have had on me and what you have helped me become. Thank you, I love you, and for my final undergraduate time, Go Gators.
Song of the Week: I’m The One – DJ Khaled
Check out my what I’ve been up to here: (IG)
“There is no such things as strangers, just friends we’ve yet to meet.”
Brant A. Wickersham